Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the price of a membership to the BAS Library?
- What is available online in the BAS Library that is not in Biblical Archaeology Review?
- How can I read Biblical Archaeology Review on my iPad?
- How do I renew my membership?
- How do I change my e-mail address (username)?
- How do I change my password?
- How do I change my billing information?
- How do I cancel my membership?
- I've forgotten my password.
- I can't remember the e-mail address I used to sign up.
- Why can't I log in?
- Can I give a premier membership as a gift?
- How long will each article take to display?
- How long will searches take?
- How is the artwork displayed?
- What is the image quality?
- What are the search criteria?
- How is the topic search done?
- What about abbreviations in your publications?
- How are articles displayed?
- How are the Biblical references handled?
- Will I be able to copy and paste all of the content?
- What are the system requirements?
- Will technical support be provided?
- I'm writing a research paper. How do I cite materials I found in The BAS Library?
What is the price of a membership to the BAS Library?
A BAS Library membership costs $29.95 per year ($20 limited-time savings off regular price of $50) and is separate from an annual subscription to the print edition of Biblical Archaeology Review.
BEST VALUE! Buy BAS Library Membership AND BAR Digital Subscription together for only $34.95 per year.
A BAR Digital subscription alone is $19.95 per year and includes access to the highly-rated BAR iPad app, as well as to Kindle Fire and Android apps.
The BAS Library relies entirely on the support of our members to convert, create, maintain and update the extensive content it offers.
What is available online in the BAS Library that is not in Biblical Archaeology Review?
Currently, all of the editorial content of Biblical Archaeology Review from 1975 to present is available. This includes many issues that are now out of print. Digital editions of BAR beginning in 2011 are also available. Additionally, every issue of Bible Review (1985 to 2005) and Archaeology Odyssey (1998 to 2006) is included. Four of BAS’s best-selling books are also included: Aspects of Monotheism, The Search for Jesus, The Rise of Ancient Israel and Feminist Approaches to the Bible. Only advertisements from the magazines have been omitted. Plus, streaming video lectures by master teachers and archaeologists on key topics are also included. Members may also take 10% off any regularly priced merchandise in the BAS store any time, as well as take advantage of monthly members-only merchandise specials.
How can I read Biblical Archaeology Review on my iPad?
We now offer BAR apps for iPad (highly rated) and for Kindle Fire and Android tablets. Readers with digital subscriptions can download the free Biblical Archaeology Review app and then use their special app password to log in and instantly view the digital edition of BAR. For more on how to access the app and all of its great features, please click here: www.biblicalarchaeology.org/baripad
How do I renew my membership?
As a service to you, we'll notify you via e-mail 30 days before your membership expires. Your membership will automatically be renewed (unless you tell us otherwise) and your credit card charged, at the beginning of your new membership year.
How do I change my e-mail address?
To change your e-mail address, simply go to Member Services.
How do I change my password?
Simply go to Members Services.
How do I change my billing information?
Simply go to Member Services. There you can update your billing address. If you need to update your credit card, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 221-4644 x202 or (202) 364-3300 x202 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST, Monday through Friday.
How do I cancel my membership?
To cancel your membership, please e-mail email@example.com or call (800) 221-4644 x202 or (202) 364-3300 x202 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST, Monday through Friday.
I've forgotten my password.
Click here to have your password e-mailed to you.
I can't remember the e-mail address I used to sign up.
If you can't remember the e-mail address you used for The BAS Library, please:
- Try all your e-mail addresses and old e-mail addresses and see if any of them work.
- Call customer service at (800) 221-4644 x202 or (202) 364-3300 x202 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST, Monday through Friday.
Why can't I log in?
If you are having difficulties logging in with your username (e-mail address) and password:
- Close the current browser window, and open a new one. Type in "http://members.bib-arch.org" in the URL field. Then, log in with your e-mail address and password. (Do not pull up the website from your favorites or from a bookmark.)
If you still have problems, check the following:
- Make sure to enter your e-mail and password exactly as you entered them when you established your account. In order for our login screen to recognize your account, you must enter your e-mail and password with the same upper or lower case characters that you entered when setting up your account.
- Make sure there are no spaces before your e-mail and password
- If the log in page shows stars (*****) in the password field, delete the characters and type your password in again.
- If your computer has firewall/anti-virus software installed such as Norton Firewall, ZoneAlarm, etc., be sure that members.bib-arch.org is added as a trusted site.
- If you are still experiencing difficulty, please call (800) 221-4644 x202 or (202) 364-3300 x202 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST, Monday through Friday or email firstname.lastname@example.org with a detailed description of the problem.
Can I give a BAS Library membership as a gift?
Please call (800) 221-4644 x202 or (202) 364-3300 x202 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST, Monday through Friday, and we will set up a gift membership to the BAS Library for you.
How long will each article take to display?
That depends on your connection speed, but the articles and graphics are designed to load as quickly as possible.
How long will searches take?
The BAS Library is held in a SQL database specifically designed and hosted for fast Web delivery. The average search takes less than 10 seconds.
How is the artwork displayed?
When you open each article, small images (maximum height or width 300 pixels) will be displayed within the articles. Clicking on the image will cause a larger image (maximum height or width 600 pixels) to pop up, along with a caption and a photo credit.
What is the image quality?
We are very proud of the images in BAS publications and have worked hard to reproduce that same quality on the Web. In order to facilitate quick loading, we have reduced the resolution of the original artwork to 72 dpi.
What are the search criteria?
You may search by title, author, topic (with the author and topic lists offered as pop-up windows), issue, date range, any word, or a combination of these categories.
How is the topic search done?
All BAS publications have been fully and professionally indexed. By entering any topic into the topic field, you will be presented with all articles listed under that topic. If you don’t know what topic to search for, a complete list of topics is included. If your desired topic is not in our list, you can use the Any Word search.
What about abbreviations in your publications?
All abbreviations used in BAS publications are spelled out when clicked on.
How are articles displayed?
Each article is displayed including title, subtitle, author (with links to author biographical information), article body and sidebars. All footnotes and endnotes are provided as links from the article body. For each article a continually updated Further Reading section is provided, listing related topics.
How are the Biblical references handled?
Biblical references within the text are linked to the relevant passages in the Revised Standard Version of the Bible.
Will I be able to copy and paste all of the content?
Yes, provided that you do not violate copyright laws, you will be able to make fair use of all content. Please refer to our complete Terms of Membership.
What are the system requirements?
All you are required to have is an Internet connection. We recommend a dedicated connection and at least 800 X 600 screen resolution.
Will technical support be provided?
A BAS staff member will be available during normal business hours to address questions that you might have. Please e-mail email@example.com or call (800) 221-4644 x202 or (202) 364-3300 x202 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST, Monday through Friday.
I'm writing a research paper. How do I cite materials I found in The BAS Library?
Just as the print versions of Biblical Archaeology Review and other BAS publications, articles and books from members.bib-arch.org may be cited in research papers according to the models below.
At the bottom of each article, a bibliographic reference is displayed for your convenience.
The sixth edition of the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers (2003) explains in detail how to document online sources. For a summary of the MLA guidelines, visit http://www.mla.org. See also MLA Style Electronic Formats (http://www.westwords.com/guffey/mla.html) by Dr. Mary Ellen Guffey.