BAR Notables May/June 2016
Do you read your print copy of BAR and find yourself wanting to continue your learning by exploring the articles referenced in the footnotes? BAR Notables makes it easy for you to find all these referenced articles, all in one place. Link directly to every one of our articles from BAR, Bible Review and Archaeology Odyssey footnoted in the current issue. We hope you’ll jump right in and find even more to fascinate and engage you online.
- Hershel Shanks, “Ivory Pomegranate: Under the Microscope at the Israel Museum,” BAR, March/April 2016.
- Hershel Shanks, “When Did Ancient Israel Begin?” BAR, January/February 2012.
- Avraham Faust, “How Did Israel Become a People?” BAR, November/December 2009.
- “The Merneptah Stela: Israel Enters History,” BAR, July/August 1997.
- William H.C. Propp, “Milk and Honey,” Bible Review, June 1999.
- Amihai Mazar and Nava Panitz-Cohen, “To What God?” BAR, July/August 2008.
- Strata: “Turkish Delight: Ancient Israelites Import Honeybees,” BAR, November/December 2010.
- Leonard J. Greenspoon, Jots & Tittles: “The Bible in the News,” Bible Review, October 2004.
- Avinoam Danin, “Living Plants as Archaeological Artifacts,” BAR, December 1975.
- Avinoam Danin, “Plants as Biblical Metaphors,” BAR, May/June 1979.
- Vaughn M. Bryant, Jr., “Does Pollen Prove the Shroud Authentic?” BAR, November/December 2000.
- Jack T. Sanders, “Circumcision of Gentile Converts,” Bible Review, February 1991.
- Helmut Koester, “Paul, Christian Community and the Jews,” Bible Review, June 1996.
- G. Kenneth Sams, “King Midas: From Myth to Reality,” Archaeology Odyssey, November/December 2001.
- Trude Dothan, “Cultural Crossroads,” BAR, September/October 1998.
- Steve Mason, “Will the Real Josephus Please Stand Up?” BAR, September/October 1997.
- Dan Bahat, “Does the Holy Sepulchre Church Mark the Burial of Jesus?” BAR, May/June 1986.
- Dan Bahat, Reviews: “Beneath the Church of the Holy Sepulchre,” BAR, July/August 1996.
- Bernard F. Batto, “Red Sea or Reed Sea?” BAR, July/August 1984.
- Shlomo Bunimovitz and Avraham Faust, “Ideology in Stone,” BAR, July/August 2002.
Joseph and King Esarhaddon
- Nadav Na’aman, “The Trowel vs. the Text,” BAR, January/February 2009.
- Alan R. Millard, “How Reliable Is Exodus?” BAR, July/August 2000.
- Robin Ngo, “Canaanite Fortress Discovered in the City of David,” Bible History Daily (blog), April 7, 2014.
- Hershel Shanks, “After Hadrian’s Banishment: Jews in Christian Jerusalem,” BAR, September/October 2014.
- Eilat Mazar, “Temple Mount Excavations Unearth the Monastery of the Virgins,” BAR, May/June 2004.
- Jodi Magness, “Illuminating Byzantine Jerusalem,” BAR, March/April 1998.
Lilith in the Garden
- Ziony Zevit, “Was Eve Made from Adam’s Rib—or His Baculum?” BAR, September/October 2015.